Be safe pruning: Always use sharp pruners
and wear gloves.
Pruning trees and shrubs is essential, not only to achieve pleasing aesthetics, but to promote good plant health and encourage maximum blooming. Pruning is generally done between late winter and early spring.
- Late February – Early March: Roses and fruit trees (apricots, cherries, peaches, pears and plums, e.g.)
- Early Spring: Summer bloomers, such as Crape Myrtles, butterfly bush, PG Hydrangeas
- Post Spring Bloom – July 15: Lilacs, Azaleas, Rhododendrons, Forsythias, Dogwoods, etc
- Summer – Evergreens and deciduous hedges
- Winter – Berried trees and shrubs